Unto the Least of These

When the lock of the third door echoed around me the whole of my being knew that I was in prison. I double and triple checked to make certain that my visitor identification was securely attached as I visualized scenarios that somehow I would be unable to leave. Since that first visit I have entered numerous jails and prisons and, while mitigated, an element of that irrational fear remains. Twice this week I have visited a detention facility and current events caused me to reflect on my perception of a prison.

In recent months, my state's government has studied and commented upon potential sites to relocate the principal state prison. The relocation committee has identified numerous communities as possibilities to build this proposed facility. It comes as no surprise that I have yet to see a community speak in favor of having a prison in their neighborhood, city or county. If the commission finds a place in my community that satisfies their requirements for a prison, let me just say that I would support it. This support has nothing to do with its economic impact on my area but a desire to shape the meaning of what a prison should be.

Jesus shared a very important parable that moves me to better understand what my role in life needs to be. In Matthew 25 we find the following parable.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Like others, I want to live where I feel safe and secure and without undue fear of harm to me or my family, neighbors and friends. Yet, too often we place ourselves as far away from the hungry, the thirsty, the naked, and the stranger who is homeless or imprisoned. Prisons house the guilty and some who are innocent, but both are completely dependent on others to meet their needs.  While I hope to avoid prison as a requirement of any sentence, I know that the closer a prison is to where I live, the easier I can answer His charge.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars