Stars Were Gleaming

Some of these children really know how to sing.

It had been a couple of years since I had the chance to fill in for the Primary children’s music director. I think the music leader would ask me to lead because my wife was playing the piano at the time. It must have seemed logical to let the husband and wife team work together whenever she was away. For me, it was always fun to substitute when my wife was playing because I knew how well she could adapt; right on the spot. I also didn't even have to remember the song list because, as the pianist, she knew all of the songs, their page numbers and she would always help me get ready.

Now that a few years have gone by, my wife no longer plays the piano for the children, she leads them in the music. Since I don’t play the piano, the chance to fill in never came along, because whenever the music leader was out of town, so was I. On the Sunday before Christmas, my wife decided she wanted to attend a different congregation to hear a special speaker. Since the other children and I were staying in our home ward my wife asked me if I wanted to fill in for her. I still have one son who is young enough to be in the senior Primary and I agreed to spend some of my worship time with the children.

My wife really did the hard work. She didn't leave until after she had worked on the music with the junior Primary. That meant I got to work with the older children, the ones who have really learned the music over the years and under the instruction of great leaders like my wife. She also prepared the song list and a fun little game to get the children involved. She taped a number to to each piece of a nativity scene and the numbers corresponded to one of the Christmas songs the children had been singing during the month.

Like most people I know, the music of Christmas inspires, comforts, and thrills my very soul. The words and the tunes evoke rich memories, old and new, to the forefront of my mind and my emotions swell as I think of the wonderous grace found in the promise of a holy infant child. When those songs are sung by children, especially children who know how to sing, the experience provides a window into heaven from here on earth. There was no Frosty the Snowman or even a hint of the Grinch. No, we sang the songs that shared the message of Peace, Hope, and Love.

While Epiphany is almost upon us and the Christmas season is coming to a close those feelings need not ever end.

The children sang of the singing of angels saying,

“Ah, that singing! Hear it ringing,
Earthward winging, Christmas bringing!
Hearken! We can hear it still!”

They were the angels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter