My Own Path

As far back as I can recall, I always wanted to practice law. I can document this desire to the 7th grade when a teacher gave my class an autobiography assignment that included a final chapter about where we thought we would be in ten years time. Aside from the misconception of law school being “the hardest year of my life,” the story I wrote captured the enthusiasm that I have for the concepts of rules and freedom and the need for both to achieve happiness as individuals and a society. For me, I knew I could find that happiness in the law.

Through good fortune, I get to work with children and young adults as I represent their interests in juvenile court proceedings. I find myself frequently and simultaneously perplexed and amazed by the worlds that these young people create to make some sense out of a nonsensical circumstance. Whenever children become the victims of abuse or neglect the ultimate analysis always concludes that the unspeakable wrongs manifest complete and utter nonsense. Nevertheless, because this circumstances represent their reality they somehow manage to discover a narrative that brings some order to a world of seeming chaos.

A natural result from unfortunate parental abuse often reveals itself in an unwillingness to accept well-intentioned suggestions from kind hearted and caring adults. But this behavior in adolescence does not confine itself to children of difficult upbringings. The natural development of individuality that makes up much of the teenage years creates a fertile ground for unmerited pushback and groundless complaining. I find that I recognize that scenario much better in a client than as a parent.

Sometimes I wish that I could explain in a way for all youth to understand the concept that we can only travel one path in life. Much angst and consternation comes from this inborn desire to rebel against authority as we search to find our own voice and our own world view. The curious thing is that in all the omniscience of youth, we seem to ignore that the path we are on might be the best one for us. We insist that we must try something new so that we’ll know whether what we choose is right or wrong.

But the adolescent frontal lobe doesn’t typically comprehend that simple possibility and the allure of the what if sings a siren song that few can ignore. I see that the young people of today, much like the kids from my era, gladly ignore the advice of elders to pursue the whims of fancy. In the event that some young eyes browse these words, let me be clear; even though I’d like that to be true, the thing that will make you you is the journey you will follow. It will be your path, however you make it, and every place you go can be filled with wonder and joy if you are willing to make it so.

Just consider this, you might already be on that path..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter