That's Right

I logged onto Facebook anticipating a peek into the lives of my family and friends. Just a little glimpse to maintain a sense of connectedness that real life hinders. It’s just that it takes too much time to touch base with everyone who causes your heart to beat a little faster and your face to smile a little more. I marvel at the power of social media that allows a few words, or an image, to reach hundred, thousands and sometimes even millions with the press of a button or a click of a mouse.

So here we are, living in separate towns, states and even countries, looking at the same posts and pages. The commonality of our shared experience gets us on the same page despite the distance. The miles melt away as electrons disperse and light up our screens, filling our eyes and minds with the colors, sounds and tastes of life. Soon, those lives become an open book for everyone to see. Much of the mystery of who we are fades as we direct a spotlight on our very selves.

All of this in the name of social media. Over time the sharing of who we are slows as our day-to-day routines leave little that merits a spotlight. Frankly, my daily life barely needs a flashlight to illuminate the wonders that warrant a broader interest beyond my immediate family. But I know that just like I like to glimpse into the lives of others to stay connected when reality keeps us apart, simple posts from me is something I still like to do.

So today as I scrolled through posts and comments I felt saddened as I detected a powerful trend to use social media to not only seek approval that what we are doing or thinking is right, but to make sure everyone knows who we think is wrong. A picture of a young girl crying after ushers didn’t allow her into a concert. The mother, clearly upset for her daughter, needed to share so that all would know the perceived injustice. The post avoided the mom’s responsibility for believing that her belief about her child’s ability to behave would outweigh the posted age policy that the ushers followed. She was right, they were wrong and she needed everyone to know. Her friends, all seemed to agree. Because if we are right someone else must be wrong, and we need to support our friends

Another post celebrated the anger towards the Mormon Church because of an official letter that disagreed with a proposed legislative bill. Based on the comments that followed I’ve concluded that it must bring great pleasure to mock others when they don’t agree with us because we know they are sitting in their own corners mocking us, but we’re right. Whether I’m right or I’m wrong, doesn’t really matter so much. What matters to me now is that instead of being filled by these posts, they leave me feeling less and not more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars