Under the Stars

Camping.

That single word carries the alternate power to either inspire or cause unmistakable dread. Some see mountains and deserts as escapes that offer near infinite opportunities to explore in settings that are simultaneously serene and stimulating. Others cringe at the thought of surviving without the common comforts of modern convenience, especially those that come from running water and mattresses. I count myself as someone completely enamored by the idea of camping but too timid to explore on my own. The fears of getting lost or encountering a wild animal are enough to require a guide to accompany me when I go out to explore.

So when I go out with a backpack and a sleeping bag I make sure to tag along with family and friends. On these trips I have discovered that most campers are happy to follow the ever increasing trend toward bringing all the comforts of home while you are out on the campout. Many people simply drive a motor home which, by definition, means taking an actual home. Others go piecemeal: a generator, a satellite dish, a portable shower. Take your pick, most people are far beyond the basic necessities of the tent, sleeping bag and whatever supplies you can stuff in a bag. These days camping is more synonymous with what you can fit in a trailer than what you can carry on your back.  

The last time I was out camping, our car was within 150 feet of our campsite. We had running water and I used a portable stove to cook a fresh vegetable stew while my children roasted hot dogs and marshmallows. We had indoor toilets, not just an outhouse, but real life functioning toilets with sinks and a mirror. We did pitch a tent and some of us used sleeping bags and pads, but my wife and son slept on a 24” high electric blow up mattress and breakfast was cooked by a committee of dutch oven chefs who do that kind of thing for fun.

I really enjoyed the outing, but what has stayed with me was the time I spent sitting under the stars. When I was a boy my brothers and I spent most nights sleeping outside in the backyard and under the stars. Our backs were young and pliant and managed just fine without any kind of a mattress pad. Our neighborhood didn’t have streetlights and once the sun was down and the house lights were out, the glorious sky revealed itself and all its glory. The worst thing that ever happened was being awakened by a falling rain.

Some of the greatest things to happen were falling asleep while talking about the deepest possibilities of life and the universe that young boys and adolescents can imagine. Even better was waking up and in the silence of the night finding myself alone with my thoughts and my own imagination unfettered by a need to impress or be impressed.

It’s a wonder to sleep under the stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars