Happy Thanksgiving!

Like a previously owned car, if it’s better than what you had before it really is new to you. You can know that someone else used to drive the car and call it her own, but those facts shouldn’t stand in the way of your enjoyment. It might take a little time, a few road trips and perhaps a dent in the fender, but sooner or later you can not only call it your own, it will feel like it was always yours.

My dad was born in Canada and most of my grandparents were either born or lived there. All of my dad’s siblings made their homes in Canada and my two oldest siblings were also born there. But my mom and dad moved back down to the states and settled near my maternal relatives. The combination of having fourteen siblings and my father working in jobs that earned enough for our needs, but not very much in ways of extras meant that we didn’t get to see our Canadian cousins as often as we liked. The trips we did make stand out in my mind and rank amongst the best of childhood times.

Sometimes the obvious catches me by surprise and such was the case when last year my sister-in-law and my wife came up with the idea of celebrating a Canadian Thanksgiving here in the States to honor our northern heritage. They decided to send out an invite to whomever might be free. We didn’t have too many takers but we still had more fifteen people in our home to celebrate the day. Because of the late notice we didn’t roast a turkey nor make all the trimmings, but we did have a nice meal as a family with a common history.

That first Canadian Thanksgiving will always be memorable because one of the guests was my nephew, Jesse Fetzer, who passed away early this year after a sudden health issue. We missed Jesse today but as I looked at the new faces at the table I remembered how lucky we are to spend time with family when we are able. Those connections and ties strengthen us in hard times and give us the chance to uplift when others need it most.

Starting a new tradition is like writing a book. It’s a legacy that is yours for today but can continue on long after you are gone. We all joined in a rousing rendition of O Canada, although a couple complained about the key, and we telephoned some cousins and aunts and uncles. It was especially fun to have my cousin Cherie’s daughter Britanny with us. It was a shame that her dad was out when we phoned, but Cherie was a good sport when we had her try to guess everyone’s voice on speakerphone.

I’ll still be celebrating Thanksgiving with my wife’s family here in America in a month and even though Canadian Thanksgiving isn’t my own invention, the tradition is feeling new to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter