I deserve: Grace/Works

Louise Hess taught Junior Honors English for many years. She encouraged thoughtful discussion of literary ideas in works including the Scarlet Letter, Huckleberry Finn, and The Crucible. Throughout each term she would assign readings and homework as she taught us to hone critical thinking skills and develop ways to express them artfully and persuasively. Mrs. Hess encouraged rational and reasoned debate that evaluated serious classical themes.

When it came time for grading, Mrs. Hess would evaluate our progress through an end-of-term essay that began “I deserve a ______ because . . ..” I always wrote that I deserved an A. Once I suggested that I deserved an A because of the competitive disadvantage any other grade would cause to my collegiate aspirations. To my surprise some of my classmates would argue for lower grades. I could never understand that strategy. If Mrs. Hess planned to award a lower grade she would do so regardless of the request in that final essay.

This past week I have studied and discussed the concepts of grace and works and the role each plays in salvation. I believe that all will be resurrected through the grace of Christ. Each of us will receive a perfect immortal body regardless of our mortal works. The grace of Christ represents a gift of God freely given and offered through the infinite sacrifice of the Son of God. We will all enjoy that blessing regardless of our choices, be they right or be they wrong.

In comparison to the question of salvation, the doctrine of exaltation allows for a difference in glory represented by varying intensities of light as we see the sun, the moon, and the stars. Using the parlance of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I call these glories the celestial, terrestrial, and telestial kingdoms. It is here that my works on earth seem to matter and determine my ultimate state and eternal reward. I expect God to judge my thoughts, my words, and my actions.

While Mrs. Hess always granted me the A that I requested, I will never know if I had earned that mark through my work, or whether she merely gave me the grade I requested in the final term assignment. Was I saved by grace or did my works make me whole? I suspect the factors exceeded mutual exclusivity and each played a role in the final decision.

When I approach the throne of God to be judged I do not expect to write an “I deserve” essay. But if I did, how would I respond to such a question?  Based upon the grace of Christ I could say that I deserve exaltation in the celestial kingdom, for His grace is perfect. But does his grace extend to exaltation or merely salvation?  I do know that by my works alone I could never ask for celestial glory. I also know that sinning isn’t worth the risk.

I will be saved and exalted by His grace. I hope I get an A.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter