21 days

Sometimes when you only want to put your toe in the water, you end up getting in so far that it takes everything to keep from drowning. I need to remind myself, that even in the deep end, you can usually find someone to rescue you, unless you ventured alone. As a poor swimmer, I try to stay in the shallows and even then I’ll occasionally panic and thrash about until I remember that I can actually touch the bottom with my head above water. Give me a life jacket and I’ll brave even the deepest lake. But without safety equipment I resign myself to watch from the edge. 

The pool in which I dip my toe today concerns questions of political discourse. With all the rage that surrounds candidates and policies, anyone wanting to dip in their toe will find sharp rocks, riptides, sharks and piranhas, and sudden dropoffs that will leave the uninitiated thrashing about with no firm ground below. The water’s edge provides a sense of security as the pool appears as inviting as a spent fuel pool outside a nuclear reactor contaminated by a leaky oil pipeline. 

Do we really want a toxic radioactive environment as the forum in which we conduct some of our most important discourse? Must we defame and vilify in our efforts to persuade? Even when the perceived other side demonstrably adds to the pollution with horrific lies and appeals to nefarious base instincts, should we contaminate the pool more with anger and derision? 

My heart breaks when people who I hold in high esteem drop below the lowest common denominator to divide us into ever shrinking factions of mini communities who will only accept those who meet ever increasing and demanding standards. When we allow for difference of opinion, we enhance our experience and we create the opportunity to learn and teach. When we speak only to our own choir we restrict the sound of our voice to our own hallowed halls, where none but ourselves are welcome. In such a state the music does not live because it cannot escape the hardened walls of a self-imposed echo chamber. 

In 1781, the founders defined the United States of America under the Articles of Confederation. By 1786 many politicians discerned that something different than the Articles of Confederation were needed to preserve our fledgling democratic republic. Though united through a common foe during wartime, in 1789 they outlined a greater common cause and created a “more perfect union.” Hundreds of years of history have rewarded sincere efforts to build upon that everlasting goal. 

While more mythology than science, will you accept my invitation to stop polluting the pool of political discourse for the next 21 days? I don’t know if that will be sufficient to develop a better habit of positivity and merit-based discussion. I remain confident that the people I know have the capacity to confront even the most baseless lies with honor and dignity. 


Be the lifejacket, not the piranha. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter