The Votes that Count

One night I was driving through fog that was so dense I couldn’t see but a few feet in front of my car. It was so bad that I stayed at a friend's home instead of driving the few miles to get home. I have been in rainstorms that have forced me to pull over and hope that all of the cars behind me have done the same. I’ve also experienced blowing dirt that forced me to take cover and simply wait before I could proceed. Today’s political climate reminds me of the fog, rain, and dirt combined together in a torment so dark that any path forward is unknown and seems uncharted. For many, these circumstances seem paralyzing and people just want to wait until the storm passes over so that they can see their way and continue on their journey. Others who are so convinced of their positions sit in the eye of the storm and wonder why there is so much commotion when everything seems so clear. Unlike the fear while driving blind I have experienced an overwhelming calm in the midst of a very confusing and divisive political climate. Regardless of the candidates that earn my vote on election day, I am ultimately only concerned about one vote and election vote that matters. Will Jesus accept my vote for Him as my Captain, Savior, and King?

That vote will be cast throughout my life and sealed when I die. So in the midst of confusion and strife, I will not wait for any election day to cast my vote for Jesus. Here is my ballot that I hope to cast:
  • I will be humble, for the blessings of heaven outweigh any strife on earth.
  • I will mourn with those who experience loss and together we will know comfort.
  • I will expect no earthly reward and by so doing will have received all that I deserve.
  • I will fervently seek out the word of God so that I may live it and be filled by the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit.
  • I will show others mercy so that one day I might receive mercy in return.
  • I will give thanks for all that I experience so that I might see the hand of God in my daily life.
  • I will beg for the forgiveness of others and freely forgive when I am weak and take offense so that I might always see the Spirit of God in others.
  • I will suffer for a good cause, and if I am mocked, I will give glory to God and pray for all to obtain the kingdom of heaven.
  • I will not suffer offense in this life and will await God’s gifts in heaven.
I write this ballot in the future tense for I am not there. On the occasions I do succeed, I experience real and sublime rewards. I do not have to see ahead to live these truths. These are the votes that I want to count.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

The Voice of God in Holy Writ

Flying Stars