Learning to Ride My Bicycle


In my teens and my early twenties I was a pretty active guy.  I regularly played tennis, did mountain biking, played pick-up basketball and hit the golf course semi-regularly.  Occasionally I would ride my bicycle to work and found enjoyment in the fresh air and exercise.

But sometime in my 30s I took a job that was 30 miles away and required additional travel. With a growing family, distant job and a couple of knee surgeries my activity level  plummeted.  It should not come as a surprise to anyone but the high metabolism that I enjoyed in my youth was tied directly to my activity and exercise.

The consequence was weight gain and the sedentary lifestyle was having a negative effect on my desire to be active.  I paid for a fitness center membership one year but I have never enjoyed going to a gym.  I am much happier getting exercise by engaging in an active lifestyle.

During this time I had become a regular commuter on our public transit.  I enjoyed helping with the environmental challenges and the lower transportation costs.  I especially enjoyed how much reading I could do while on a bus and how better prepared I was for my job because of the extra time I could spend reviewing documents.   But my belly was a constant reminder that I really needed to get more active.

I wanted to ride my bike, but I was worried about how I could dress for work and ride the rout.  When I changed offices and got about 10 miles away I went ahead and made the change.  I began with a plan to just ride my bicycle for less than a block to the local bus stop.  Then I would put the bike on the bus and ride the bus in to the office.  I would get my exercise by riding the bike home.

This routine went well for several weeks.  Then one day I got to the bus stop and after waiting for several minutes I decided to just ride to the next bus stop while I waited for the bus to catch up to me.   Well, when I got to the next stop I looked back and couldn't see the bus.  This continued stop after stop until I had made it to my downtown office.  From then on I have been a year-round cyclist.

My reading has taken a hit but I a have returned to a more healthy weight and lifestyle.  It still wouldn't hurt me to lose a few pounds and I could play more than I do.  But I am closer to the health of my youth and when it is time to go to work I leave with anticipation and vigor instead of dread and woe.

So if you want a nice pick-me-up for your own routine, just look for me on the road.  I'm usually not too hard to find in my red, orange, and yellow.

Good travels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars