Leadership and Discipleshi

As a parent I ask myself whether I prefer my children to be leaders or followers.  As long as their choices are positive and allow them to develop and grow, I focus less on their hierarchical position.  It is fun to see them in positions of leadership and I admire the beneficial influence they exert on others.  
Many qualities that I have defined as leadership might more accurately be categorized as intentional application of previously observed patterns.  This over-the-top designation comes from a mental reflection that has propelled me toward a richer meaning of being a disciple.  
A leader must possess three critical characteristics and the true disciple must understand these qualities.
  • Fundamental Principles
  • Positive Purpose
  • Commitment
A leader must consistently act harmoniously with basic fundamental principles that achieve a positive purpose.  If a leader lacks the commitment to either the principles or the purpose there is no leadership.  But when a leader employs these characteristics then she can blaze a trail that others may follow.  But in order to lead the leader must have followers.  
Disciples are able to something that leaders cannot do.  Disciples can leverage the power of community action to engage others and promote growth consistent with the leader’s mission and goal.  If you have not see the lessons taught in the YouTube video, Leadership From A Dancing Guy, you can take a few minutes and watch it here.  
While I quite enjoy that video, I had not thought about it until I was writing this essay.  There is a significant difference between being a follower and a disciple.  You see, a disciple will possess the same essential characteristics as the leader, but he may have come upon them by a process of adoption rather than discovery.  
A great deal of time is spent by a large number of people in an effort to create, develop and lead a movement.  To the degree that there is nothing new under the sun, perhaps much of this effort is not only futile but sometimes misguided and harmful.  I believe that we know many true fundamental principles that can guide us to positive purpose in our lives.  But even though we  know them, for reasons that are usually short sighted and silly, we willingly ignore those principles.  This choice is often for apparent short term gain at the expense of greater good.   
I am inspired by those who have set forth and expounded on rules and guidelines that show a path to happiness and joy.  San Juan de la Cruz has shown me that the clearest joys are hidden until we are willing to let go our desire to explain the grandeur of eternity.  Marvin J. Ashton lived a message of empathetic acceptance that I hope to better follow. Followers of John Nash, continue to use his equilibrium theory  to improve diverse experience across species and platforms. These are three leaders who are also great disciples.  

I hope to lead as a disciple of wise predecessors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter