Our True Intrinsic Value

Today as I rode my bicycle to work I was listening to a radio station from Spain.  During one segment an animated and irritated young woman was speaking about perceived unfairness.  She explained that she is an educated woman, she holds two degrees, yet she knows people who earn twice as much as her with much less education.  In fact, she said, “They do not even know how to read."



Last week I twice had occasion to share a part of my belief system that deals with the intrinsic value of others. This is a belief system that I have known for many years but it is one that I am sadly only beginning to live.   To be more fully honest I must disclose that I do not always treat others with the intrinsic value they possess.  I did not only judge myself by my accomplishments and profession but I esteemed others according to their achievements and deeds.  


If I were to walk into a room and find a group of people of differing edu-socio-economic status, I would surely try to ingratiate myself with those of higher learning, position and income.  On its face this choice isn’t necessarily wrong nor malintentioned.  But the motives behind the choice made it so for me.  The nature of my choice was not that I perceived a greater value in those with whom I chose to associate; rather I devalued the rich benefits that others could bring.  


I grew up in a setting where others often perceived me as the smartest person in the room. Sometimes that perception persists today because I can be well spoken and, I hope, my insights are generally valid and helpful.  But what I now believe is that I was never the smartest person in the room.  Even if by some particular measure I were to believe that so, that measure, whatever measure I could possibly use, would be so narrow that the scope of the presumptive audacity to declare oneself smarter or better or more deserving defies simple and basic logic and truths.  


Perhaps wrongly attributed and translated; it has been said that “I know that I know nothing.” Of course Oscar Wilde cleverly pronounced, “There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.” As I blend these thoughts I realize that everyone can be fascinating and likewise everyone should be valuable.  


Let’s get back to the young woman who protested wage inequality based upon achievement, especially academic accomplishment.  I find it curious when the ostensibly educated reach unwarranted conclusions.  Education does not equal income.  Formal education does not determine intrinsic nor financial worth. I have not seen it, but apparently Ashton Kutcher gave quite an emphatic statement on the value of work and entitlement. Feel free to watch it.

Let us all love to learn and then learn to love.  With that we will value and enrich all human experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars