Mr. Putin, Please.

The biggest truth or the biggest lie exists in the proposition of mutual exclusivity. How many tensions, conflicts and even wars are fought because if one thing is right the other is wrong? I regularly and often find comfort in the black and white dichotomy of choice. Whenever I can define one thing as right and another thing as wrong, choice becomes very simple and tremendously rewarding. Results of actions become quite clear as I can perceive the connection between my actions and the consequences that follow.

My mind is a curious place to live because it is full of regular and constant contradictions. I believe in the concept of moral agency defined as an ability to choose between right and wrong. I further believe that regardless of the quality of my prior choices I possess the capacity to change. Not only do I believe in the capacity to change I sense a moral imperative to improve. The gift of my existence demands that I do more than simply enjoy what benefits I have been given. I need to improve who I am for me, for those who preceded me and for all who will follow.

Some will argue that this desire for improvement and progress flows as a natural consequence of the evolutionary process; that we all inherently possess an innate sense to grow beyond that which we are.  Others find the power for growth in the assurance of a divine Creator who stand ready to bless them. For some, circumstance seems to have beaten the desire for growth right out of them, sometimes literally. For others, the definition of progress directly opposes another's hope for development.

In political spheres we are living through a highly contentious moment from the events in the Ukraine and in the Crimean region particularly. From my point of view, the actions of the Putin government are clearly totalitarian and extraconstitutional. I have found no international recognition for the incursion onto Ukrainian soil and the defiance of its sovereignty. So if everyone is right and Putin is wrong, why does he not see it? Perhaps he believes that he is right. My best guess is that he believes he can get away with it because no one will risk a military confrontation and the apocalyptic consequences that could arise from such a step.

But rather than ask who is right and who is wrong, is it possible that everyone is partially right and that because we refuse to see the validity in the argument of the other that we continue to fight? Is this the way we grow? We demand that the rules must be enforced as long as we are on the right side of the argument? We insist upon a natural right of protection when the laws do not support us? Is that the best we have? I don't think so.

But I won't complain unless I can propose a solution. Until then I ask, "Mr. Putin, will you please stand down? "

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

The Voice of God in Holy Writ

Flying Stars