Hearing the Game


I used to listen to baseball on the radio. I'd sit on the floor, glove in hand, resting my back on the sofa as I closed my eyes and imagined each pitch, hit and throw. The radio announcers would tell a story but it usually confirmed what I would already see in my mind's eye. A well hit ball makes a very distinct sound. When the path of the ball perfectly intersects the swinging bat the resulting sound reverberates on one distinct harmonic pitch. I listened for that sound with each and every pitch and when I heard it, I waited for a fraction of a second, not for the announcer, but the sound of the crowd would report whether it was a hit or an out.

But not all hits are pure. I suppose that most hits come from good swings that just miss the sweet spot. Those will not fly out of the park for a home run, but they will loop and drop, or curve and dip, or run and hop. The imperfect contact of bat on ball sounds very different. The sound comes off the bat as a cacophonous blend of atonal voices. But batters reach base on ugly hits and they can be out on great ones.  Even from my seat on the living room floor, I could hear an infield line drive caught for an out or the quick impact of the ball in the first baseman's glove. And with every hit, the sound of the crack and the reaction of the crowd would tell the story even before the announcer could describe the play.

Some people don't know how to listen to a baseball game, especially when they're at the ballpark. I was with my brother in San Francisco as the Giants were playing the Astros. At the professional level the balls and bats move so fast. One batter stepped to the plate and with a mighty swing connected on hit that sounded like an unoiled engine. The ball soared into the air and my brother, cheering for the Astros, stood and declared a home run for the visiting team. He quickly sulked into his seat after the second baseman caught the towering pop-up three steps into the outfield. Yes, your eyes can deceive you in the open expanse of a major league field.

But the sounds of baseball will tell a true story if we're willing to listen. The muffled scratch of a cleat on a base either comes before or after the smack of the ball on leather or the whack of a mitt on the runner. Of course you have to keep your eyes on the ball, but screwballs, sinkers and curves make that harder than it seems. I'm not as patient now and I prefer to watch a game and see the amazing plays these athletes can make. But once in a while I'll close my eyes and listen, and see the most beautiful plays of all time.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter