Be Safe!


Several years ago, the courthouse where I work installed bicycle racks so I could leave my bicycle in the parking garage instead of carrying my bike into the elevator and keeping it against a wall in my office. There is a lot of generally accepted protocol on an elevator and lugging a bicycle violates every single one of them. I would often make my commute to work 30-40 minutes before the rest of the employees just to increase my chance of getting an empty elevator car. That way I could avoid the inevitable small talk.

These days I still get the occasional quick glance but now that I am taking up no more room than the next guy, the small talk is ready made with the two most popular questions. "How was the ride?" and "How far is your ride?" People ask those questions on an order of magnitude more frequently than any generic comment about the weather or my day. I can answer the questions and get the canned replies in the time it takes to reach my floor.

The biggest difference in elevator conversation, though, comes when it's time to leave for the day. When I drove a car or even when I walked the train station or bus stop,  goodbyes consisted of the typical, "Have a nice night," "Don't get into trouble," and "See you tomorrow." Now, when my co-workers see me leaving for the night, dressed in my bike gear and headed for the exits, I will usually hear "Be Safe!" three or more times before I actually get on my bike. For many years I just said, "Thanks, I will."

But lately I've turned the very expression on my friends who drive. I can usually sense when the goodbye wish is about to come and I will beat them to the punch and say, "Be Safe!" While I practice and advocate safe and predictable riding by cyclists, I have decided that it is far more important that the people in the cars remember to be safe. You see, even if I were to ignore my own advice and rode like a maniac, the most damage I will do to any car is make a little dent. Obviously, when car and bicycle meet, everyone knows that the car is going to win and the bicycle is going to lose.

I consider myself fortunate to ride along so many good mannered drivers who seem to accept the simple charge of safety every time they get behind the wheel. I thank them every day with nods, waves and smiles. I have shared some of the sweetest and most thoughtful exchanges with my motorized commuters through a simple but sincere expression of mutual gratitude through a meeting of the eyes. Their example tells me that I really am not that crazy to be out there with the cars. So I thank you for your kindness and ask you to remember that I'll be safest when you are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter