Welcome to Mordor


Emerging from the parking garage the outside air smothered me with a hot blast that sapped my energy from the start. I made a right hand turn and immediately headed west. Although it was hot, I found a comfortable gear and traveled quickly along the road without needing to stop at a single light. After a mile of riding I arrived at the T in the road and turned south, smack into a constant 25 mile per hour wind. The downtown buildings and flowing traffic had muted the effects of the wind and its strength caught me off guard. Fortunately it was only a half mile until I could travel west and find relief from the constant gale.

Though it had been a short stint, I felt a subtle tightness behind my left knee. It was still early in my ride and nine miles separated me from home. I quickly determined that this was not going to be a time trial type of ride. I was going to listen to my body and not push too hard. As I made my way toward home I felt every single rotation as I pedaled with a quick cadence, but in a small gear. It would take a little longer, but worth it to avoid an injury during the ride.

Cycling loses much of its natural joy when you are focussed on the mechanics. Having left the tall city buildings behind, I rode in the open air, subject to the relentless and buffeting winds. While it came at me from the side, periodic bursts kept me very aware of my precarious balance as the sudden blasts almost knocked me to the ground three or four times. I was actually relieved to turn south once again and ride into the wind. While I knew it would slow me down, I also knew it wasn't going to knock me over.

But the two mile stretch really took its toll. When I approached my final western stretch I was hoping for a burst of energy and easy pedaling. It didn't come. I felt completely spent and I was about to ride straight into the wind for the final three miles. Throughout this ride I listened as a Spanish radio station recounted the making of The Goonies and threw in updates about the child actors who starred in the show. As they talked about Sean Astin and his later role as the hobbit, Sam, I imagined his horrible journey to Mordor,  especially the final push to Mt. Doom.

The hot wind chapped my lips, its constant force sapping my strength and I felt completely dehydrated. I had no idea how I'd make it home. But as I made the final turn, a miracle, like the eagles had just come to rescue me; I was so exhausted that I hadn't even realized that the winds had shifted and now blew from the West. It had been a hard journey and it challenged my will, but I made it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter