Happiness and Joy


When we discuss feelings we often simplify our emotional range using labels of happy or sad.  We become like those who, when seeing a color, see blue, red or green, instead of aqua, cherry, or forrest. There are subtleties and even great differences in each emotional feeling just as each color carries a broad range of shades.

Within the realm of positive emotions we can explore the differences between happiness and joy.  When I experience these emotions simultaneously my life is in synch; a synchronisity where my past preparation becomes present usefulness toward a harmony with future goals.  I hope to obtain that convergence of harmony more often in life.

I regularly discover many things that bring me happiness.  Likewise I have identified numerous other causes that result in joy.  These situations and experiences are not always the same. Sometimes the very thing that bring me happiness prevents me from having joy.  I find, however, that there are very few things that bring me joy that prevent feelings of happiness.

I graduated from the University of Utah. Twice. When Alex Smith joined the San Francisco 49ers I hoped for his success.  Even if his team were to fail, I am not a 49er fan, I hoped that he would perform well.  When coach Harbaugh decided to keep him out of the starting role when he returned from an injury and eventually changed teams I really wanted him to do well and I even hoped for his counterpart to do poorly.  Whenever he won and the 49ers lost I experienced happiness. I was almost giddy.

But it is difficult to find joy in the misfortune of others. Unlike happiness, which can be fleeting, joy endures.  My job brings me joy.  I have previously written that I represent children who have been abused, neglected or are otherwise dependent upon someone other than their parents.  These situations arise from any number of underlying causes.

Some parents choose drugs, alcohol and other substances to the extent that they fail in their obligations to their children.  Others suffer from mental illness and lack the ability to care for themselves, let alone young children.  Some parents are simply selfish and put their own desires before the needs of their children.  When these parents come before the court because of these issues we discover home lives filled with great sorrow and misfortune.

So what does any of this have to do with joy? Joy consists of so much more than a bunch of happiness.  The very responsibilities and obligations that come with parenting children can be the very source of our greatest joys.  When I find abuse, neglect and despair I seek solutions, opportunities and change.  As long as there is something that we can do to create a realistic hope that we can help provide a better today and a more rewarding tomorrow, we can find joy even in the midst of sorrows and trial.

It isn't always happy, but life can be full of joy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

The Voice of God in Holy Writ

Flying Stars