Planned Spontaneity


There are a couple of different kinds of people in the world.  Some people really like to plan and others kind of go with the flow.  Both styles have their advantages and they also bring some downsides.

There is tremendous benefit in having a regimen because of the structure it brings.  When we work within that structure we find our present limits and we can begin to strategize ways to improve.  Regular schedules and routines help us determine valid causes and effects.  That regularity also results in more reasonable expectations.

When we go with the flow we can discover interests and talents that would have never come to light if instead we would have stuck to the plan. We develop the skills of spontaneity and learn how to enjoy unexpected successes as well as deal with inevitable failures.  When you go with the flow you either have to be very open minded or your, by definition, unrealistic expectations will lead to a lot of disappointment and surprise.

My bicycle riding resembles both those styles of living. My weekday morning bike riding presents a practical solution to get me from point A to point B. I have a fairly standard pace and route making it easy for me to evaluate whether I had a good ride.  The trip home lets me enjoy a little of both worlds.  I often have flexibility in the time I can leave the office and the time I need to be home.  That lets me mix up the route depending on whether I want to work on some hills, visit a child client at home or in detention, or make it as much of a 10-mile sprint as I can.  My weekend rides, though planned, tend to have a lot of flexibility so I am much more spontaneous than regimented.

I hope that I have the balance in my life so that I reflect both ways of living.  In fact, I think my preferred method of living is something we could call planned spontaneity.  I have only travelled on one short cruise.  While I had a really fun time, I know that it isn't my preferred mode of travel.

I am not one of those people who would go on a seven-country trip in twelve days. I want the freedom to be able to stay as long as I want when I find a place that I love.  When you are on a cruise, it doesn't matter how enamored you may be with the port city, that boat is leaving the dock at the hour stated.  If you are not on board you are going to have to make some other arrangements because they are leaving without you: unless of course you are on a cruise-sponsored activity.



So whether in travel or in life, remember you don't always have to choose between structure and chance.

Using both will provide all the ingredients to add just the right spice of life to your world.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

The Voice of God in Holy Writ

Flying Stars