Found in Translation

I wonder how old the average American is before she realizes that Jesus didn’t speak English. Surely it occurred to me at some moment, but it wasn’t until I started studying scriptures in Spanish that I really thought about that obvious reality. I had always read scriptures in my home and at church and I had committed several popular scriptures to memory. Once in a while, while reading in Spanish I would come across a verse that I recognized and discover that the differences in translation caused the scripture to carry a different meaning for me in my life.

Rarely did the differences contradict the original understanding that I had, more often the changes would produce a more broad consideration of the single language reading. Charity and love are two particular words that have led me to many moments of deep reflection. At times the English edition would say charity but the Spanish would say love and other times the choice would be reversed. This choice of translation has caused me to consider the other possibility whenever I encounter either word.

“If ye love me, keep my commandments,” can be read as If ye have charity, keep my commandments. I still don’t know Hebrew so I’m not sure which is the best translation but I certainly need to adopt both principles more effectively. This same exercise also helps me focus on the core element of love that should embody our understanding of charity. I fully embrace the declaration that “charity is the pure love of Christ.”

An unfortunate consequence of a common meaning of charity seems to be an attitude that those who have more give out of the goodness of their hearts to others who are somehow less fortunate than they are. This top down view of charitable giving can create an attitude of superiority and ergo an inferiority in the recipient. I have heard too many people espouse an unwillingness to give to others because the gift might go to someone who would buy an illicit substance or otherwise use the money unwisely.

I prefer to give money to established organizations because it helps me believe that my gift will be more efficiently distributed to help the maximum number of people. On a certain level that philosophy makes a lot of sense. Yet I know that charity is made up of so much more than my voluntary contributions. True charity demands that whatever gift is given is given out of love. I fear that I can get comfortable in my giving and feel like I am doing enough even though I may have so much more to give.

I have heard that Mother Teresa said that we should give until it hurts. When I ponder that thought it occurs to me that giving to a charitable organization is great and I can even give with love in my heart, but I know that the gifts of my time, service, and presence can produce the greatest charity (love) around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars