Home Depot

All I thought I needed was a new compression ring to fix a water line and eliminate a small, but constant leak so that our home's evaporative cooler would work. A couple of weeks ago when warmer temperatures came to the valley I hooked up the line because I wanted to be prepared before the big heat of summer arrived. Everything went off without a hitch except for a slow leak. A busy schedule kept me from making the repair immediately, but we had the good fortune of cooler weather.

A family reunion took me out of town during the following weekend and we returned to much warmer air. On our second day back the temperature spiked so I made the trip to Home Depot to pick up the part. As it turns out, they were out of the brass compression rings that I have used before. I had made a similar repair several years ago and because it had performed so well I really hoped to use the same part. Home Depot did carry a plastic version and it only cost $1.34 so I went ahead and bought it.

In an effort to consolidate travel, I made the trip to Home Depot after I dropped my son off at his clarinet lesson. While I waited for him to finish I looked on line to see if the plastic ring would work as effectively. While doing this investigation I discovered that I might need another small and inexpensive part. So once my son was finished I returned to Home Depot, found the part and spent another $1.50. I was now confident that I could make the repair and decided that it would be even better if I involved my son in the repair.

As we traveled home I walked him through the repair job that awaited and because he wanted a cool house as much as I did, he agreed to help out without complaint. I knew right where the copper pipe cutter was, in fact I had seen it just a few days earlier when l was looking for a wrench that was stored in the same drawer. My son headed downstairs and I grabbed the device. I quickly discovered a problem. The pipe cutter has two parts and the cutting blade had been screwed off and removed from the other half of the unit. I was not going to be able to cut the pipe that night.

The following day I made my third trip to Home Depot to purchase a new pipe cutter. I needed the tool to cut the pipe without collapsing the 1/4" copper tubing.  I paid the $10.58 and returned to the minivan. I opened the door and as I settled in behind the wheel I set the receipt on the passenger seat. I had to smile because right next to this new receipt were two other receipts. As any homeowner knows, every true home improvement project requires three trips to Home Depot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars