Stories Rule


All stories are fiction. Sitting at a family reunion I listen as my family reminisces about the experiences of youth. All the stories are funny, sad, poignant and moving. They are all familiar to me but almost none of them dovetail with my own memories. Sometimes the memories fix something that I had either forgotten or misremembered. Other times the story tells me a fact that I didn't even know. Occasionally, someone will tell a story that completely contradicts a memory of my youth about which I was certain.

Apparently, facts are only partially necessary to make a story. As I consider memories that would be great fodder for a tale, I spend too much time trying to remember the facts. I have wanted to write several stories but I am waiting to confirm certain details. Now I am wondering whether I need to remember the actual facts if I know enough about the story to go ahead and write it; whether my story remains accurate.

In the end I think that every story has three recipients. The first is the author. Even though it is my own story I read the stories for accuracy, entertainment and I review them as often as possible for editing and improvement. I do believe that the story must read true to me, even if it is a made up, fictional account. Because I am the original author the inconsistency in a story would ultimately drive me crazy, so it is easier to just tell a true story rather than make up some inaccurate fact. It's the same idea that Twain espoused when he declared that it was easier to tell the truth because then you didn't have to remember anything.

The second recipient is the expected reader or real life participant in the event. I really try to think about that person and his or her point of view. This can be very difficult as you realize that participants often have very different factual opinions as to what events actually transpire. There are numerous stories which I refuse to write because I believe that they will cause shame or embarrassment to someone else. I will make myself the butt of a joke, but I detest making someone else play the part. This can limit my stories but fortunately my bank is full of enough stories that I can let several of these go by.

But I am now realizing that unknown people read my stories. I don't know anyone in Lithuania or Uganda and any of dozens of other countries where my stories have been seen. I don't know if I should consider them because, if so, any story requires context that makes certain stories meaningful. But this format of 500 words makes such context impractical. But this format helps to remind me that there are many ways to tell a story. Sometimes we write them. Sometimes we speak them. But regardless, if you carry any emotion to another the story is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars