Look up


The book of Numbers in the Old Testament recounts an amazing miracle that saved many Israelites. The same story illustrates the stupidity and stubbornness that can afflict any or all of us. There came a particular occasion when the people complained to Moses about their awful predicament. The scriptures then tell us that the Lord sent fiery serpents, snakelike creatures that bit the people of Israel. The venom within the serpents was lethal and many people died. With their destruction at hand they regretted their earlier choice and asked what they should do.

Moses went to the Lord in prayer and inquired how he could help his people. The answer came that he should construct a brass serpent. The promise was that anyone who should look upon the brass serpent would live. So that as many people as possible could see the serpent, Moses attached it to a pole and lifted it up so that all could be saved. There are no quotations in my bible for what Moses said, but in my mind I can hear him say, "Look up and live."

In my religious tradition, church leaders have taught that some people were so angry, unbelieving, or uncooperative that they were unwilling to even look at the serpent so that they might live. And thus, in their stubborn unbelief and unwillingness to even look up they rejected the very thing that would save their life. They did not look up and they died from the deadly venom.

Sometimes I will be riding along a road and I will realize that I have traveled ten miles without really looking up. I can tell you the detail of the asphalt and the road below me. I can distinguish the subtle cracks, bump and squiggly crevices and potholes, but my focus is only ten or fifteen feet in front of me. I stay crouched and small to cut through the air like a hot knife through butter. But in that position I can miss the beautiful geography that surrounds me. I live in a gorgeous region where wonderful snow-capped mountains surround an energetic and thriving valley. Whenever I take the chance to look up and engage my surroundings I get to really live in the moment.

Today I got to people watch as I sold water at a fund raising event during the first day of our city's fair celebration. I repeatedly witnessed hundreds of people walking by the booths surrounded by friends and family with their eyes focussed firmly on their cell phones. Others had to maneuver to avoid their meandering wanderings and their sudden stops and starts. Perhaps each message or app was really important and worthy of their divided attention.

I doubt it. A beautiful world surroundsus. We have wonderful people with whom we can engage. We can, with some effort and training, be present in the moment. There is a time and a place for electronics and there is a time to look up and live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter