Second Opinion


The tingling sensation in my fingers got worse each day. In the morning, I could type letters and pleadings without a problem, but by the end of the day I only noticed the tension in my wrists and little feeling in the tips of my stiffened fingers. I would usually take two or three ibuprofen and they would take the edge off. When I found myself increasing the dosage to four pills I decided it was time to see a professional and I scheduled an appointment with an orthopedist. I already figured the problem was carpal tunnel syndrome and I just needed to confirm it.

Several friends had used one particular doctor and gave him great recommendations. I consulted with my insurance provider and found that this doctor was in my network. If the waiting list was any indication, he must have been as good as my friends had said. It took almost four weeks before I could get an appointment. When the day came, I made my way to his office, feeling nervous about a likely surgery.

Once I met with the doctor, I found that his evaluation was brief, but thorough, and he diagnosed me with cubital tunnel syndrome. A similar condition, but in a different spot. He recommended surgery. I had met this physician for less than twenty minutes and he seemed certain that the best option was to cut my arm and repair the damage. I am no doctor but I asked if it would be wise to get a second opinion. "You could be doing some permanent damage to your nerves," he warned.  Nevertheless, he agreed that if it would put my mind at ease waiting might be the best course.

That evening I was visiting with a good friend and I told him about my situation. As an attorney, he litigated contested worker compensation claims and he asked which doctor was recommending the surgery. When I told him the physician's name he shared a couple of significant details with me. That particular physician had significantly increased the number of surgeries he performed and he was being watched to determine if the procedures were medically necessary. Authorities were suspicious because the jump in surgeries coincided with the filing of a divorce action and responsibilities to pay alimony and child support. My friend suggested that I should really get a second opinion.

Instead of going to another doctor I actually returned to the same physician and told him I would like to try some non-surgical interventions first. Again he warned about possible damage, but said we could give it a try. He gave me a foam pad to place above my elbow to keep me from sleeping on a folded arm in the night. I also wore a wrist brace and maintained an ibuprofen regimen to reduce swelling. It's been almost twenty years and I've never needed surgery on my arm. Mine was an unusual second opinion, but I consider it a very good one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter