Heaven's Gate

This morning I heard a news report about a group of evangelizing atheists who were spreading their message in public places. The report included one particular message they used. "Don't worry. There is no hell." I agree with them, as long as they are talking about a physical place.

I haven't believed in a hell for a very long time. I don't talk that much about it because I really don't know that much about it. I certainly don't know anyone who has been there. Even the commentary about hell requires a certain stretch to confine it to some physical space. As a former proselytizing missionary I think a simple joke explains hell. This joke requires an element of background so that anyone not of my faith will get it.

Missionaries in my church go to almost all the world to teach and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Because we believe that baptism by one holding the priesthood of our church is necessary for salvation we invite those we teach to be baptized. As you can imagine there are some places in the world where missionaries have more success than other places. The countries where missionaries perform few baptisms are deemed very hard missions. By the way, having served in one of those missions I can testify that the rumors are myth but sometimes create a self fulfilling prophecy.

So, here's the joke. Three former missionaries died and they are standing at heaven's gate waiting for St. Peter to let them in. The first missionary approaches the gate and St. Peter asks, "How many baptisms did you have?" The missionary responds, "I went to Mexico and I had 500 baptisms." St. Peter looks at the missionary and says, "You are going to hell."

The second missionary approaches the gate and is asked the same question to which he nervously replies, "I went to Brazil and had 1,000 baptisms." St. Peter looks at him sternly and again commands, "You are going to hell."

The final missionary, now trembling in his shoes hears the same question. "How many baptisms did you have?" He lowers his head and humbly mutters, "I was in Europe and only had one baptism." To this answer St. Peter opens the gate and motions him to enter heaving saying, "Come on in! You've already been to hell."

As long as people see heaven and hell as places to arrive rather than conditions to experience and enjoy I think the atheists will have a point. If we are waiting until we die to determine whether we achieved heaven it is time to do something different. I believe that we enjoy heaven here on earth when we live true to our belief. I know that I suffer hell when I do not. At my core I accept the hope and the promise that heaven exists if I but believe in Jesus Christ and come unto Him. How do I do that?

Well the devil is always in the details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars