Ride, Forrest, Ride!

One early experience with the Boy Scouts involved an effort to achieve the cycling merit badge. To achieve the badge the scout must demonstrate proficiency with basic maintenance of the bicycle, a primary understanding of the rules of the road, and complete several bike rides of varying distances. You had to complete a few five and ten mile rides as well as one 25 mile ride and one 50 miler.

Our leaders eased us into the challenge by scheduling shorter trips to get our legs ready for longer rides. Because of my newspaper route that I did on my bicycle, the gradual build up was unnecessary for me. But I enjoyed every opportunity to ride with friends. When I learned that we were going on a weekend camp and that would include a 10 miler Friday evening and the 25 miler on Saturday morning I was excited. I  didn't often get the chance to do longer rides.

The Friday afternoon we drove out toward the campsite and then stopped 10 miles before the destination. At that point all of the scouts and a couple of leaders got onto our bicycles and rode the 10 miles to the area where we were going to be sleeping. The other leaders were going to ride ahead and unload the gear and then come out to the road to signal the turnoff that lead to the site where we were going to camp.

This plan worked perfectly for everyone except me. I started the ride and quickly got to the front of the pack. After about five to ten minutes the leaders waved and honked as they passed me on the road. The first four or five miles of the ride were on a straight line and whenever I would look back I could see my buddies behind me. But with each passing mile they got a little farther behind.

I normally rode alone when riding because much of my cycling was done while delivering newspapers. So I simply enjoyed the ride. After about 1.5 hours of riding it had turned from a little dusk to getting pretty dark. When I looked back I realized that all I could see was winding road and not very far back. Yet with the vanity of youth I wasn't worried about me, but I was concerned with my good friends who were never going to make it to the campground.

With those fears in my head I was a little surprised when a truck slowly passed me and then pulled over. I was relieved when the driver got out and it was one of my leaders. You see, they hadn't planned on the speed that I rode my bike. I had passed the turnoff before they had unloaded the gear so I had ridden between six and seven miles too far.

I learned that any time you lead out you should remain close enough for others follow.
It also helps if you know where you are going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter