The Olympic and Paralympic Games

www.paralympic.org
In one week the 2014 Olympic Games will begin in Sochi, Russia and athletes from around the globe will gather to compete under their national flags. We will watch amazing performances and witness record feats.  The Olympic Games afford us the occasion to see what humanity can do with dedication, concerted effort and fervent focus.

I volunteered as a driver during the 2002 Olympic and Paralympic Games in Salt Lake City.  Because I was driving I actually didn't see many of the events. Instead I transported members of the IOC to meetings, venues, and events.  Although I missed attending actual events I didn't have a negative experience in those three weeks.

Once the Olympic Games concluded the Paralympic Games began. In 2002 the international event competitive but small enough to feel very intimate.  My assignment was the same as I provided transportation for the the International Paralympic Committee Family.  Just like the Olympics, I never had a negative experience during the entire games.

I commend all those who make up the Paralympic Games for their kindness and unassuming nature.  I assume that because of their disabilities they were unaccustomed to  preferential treatment.  Their commitment to their sports is second to none. On my first assignment for the Paralympics I was asked to go to a hotel and pick up a coach and take him up to an important planning meeting.  When I arrived at the hotel I was surprised and a little worried that I might have been running late because he was standing out on the curb.  I didn't even get the chance to get out and open the door before he hopped in and confirmed that he was the guy I was scheduled to pick up.

As we drove to the meeting I asked him about his history with the sport and how he got involved in the Paralympics.  Turns out he wasn't always a coach. He used to be an Paralympic athlete.  I was surprised because of how quickly he had gotten into the vehicle.  He told me of the horrific motorcycle accident when he was 17 that left him without a right leg.  For 8-10 years he had competed in downhill skiing and had excelled.  Now he was coaching the athletes who were doing things he could still only dream about.

He also explained his preferences in artificial legs.  As a winter-sport athlete he preferred the wood inserts to the titanium because the titanium would conduct the cold straight to the bone.   We discussed the prejudices that people have and the awkward interactions when able bodied people feel discomfort around those with obvious physical limitations.

His humble thanks and genuine warmth gave me the perspective that I needed to see these athletes as people, not disabled.  They were amazing.

When the Olympics conclude please stay tuned from March 7-16 for the Paralympic Games.  If you can find them you will be treated to tremendous athletic performances and inspired by the enduring human spirit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars