I learned how to walk in Madrid

So which is it?
The glaring red hand at a crosswalk sends mixed messages. The inconsistent behavior of pedestrians reveals the two-faced personality behind this device that was designed to improve the safety and flow of foot traffic. Congested thoroughfares pose risks to often unsuspecting pedestrians as they go on their way to meetings, take a stroll with friends or get in their exercise routine. These bipeds all see the same signal, a red hand that declares, "Stop!" Some follow the warning and others, as Randy Quaid said in Quick Change, "[they] don't even read colors?"

A simple case in point. The light-rail train system in Salt Lake City runs at street level and down the middle of the road. Each rider must cross the tracks and street to get to the sidewalk or platform. The transit authority facilitates this process by placing crosswalks near the front and rear of the trains to promote safety and prevent jaywalking. Invariably some riders dutifully wait until the signal changes to green. Others dismiss the sign and step into the road and cross on their own terms, even walking in front of trains and cars.

As a child, my mother taught me to carefully obey traffic rules, especially when walking, because I wasn't ever going to win a contest with a moving vehicle. So most of my life I've obediently followed that instruction. Even early in the morning or during traffic-free moments I stand at the crosswalk waiting for the light to change. I diligently overcome peer pressure when everyone else crosses and I remain safe until I have the right of way.

So what might explains this discrepancy? Believe it or not, it appears the different behavior can be explained by the perception of the people on the street rather than the signal giving off mixed messages with the same sign. It all depends on whether the red hand represents a command or a suggestion. This understanding helps to explain more than pedestrian behavior. Using this paradigm one can begin to explain the irrational behavior around us and the inconsistencies within us.

You see there was a time that I was a crazy pedestrian who ignored traffic signals. While living in Spain and whenever I visit, those same signals become mere suggestions. I learned to jaywalk in Madrid because in a large city it takes twice as long to get where you are going if you would even get there at all when following pedestrian traffic signs. Cars block crosswalks, they double park and drivers actually expect pedestrians in the roadway. Hence in Spain, traffic signals become reminders when I am walking but they certainly don't dictate when or how I cross the road.

Does this make any sense? Not logically.  Nevertheless I suspect that the next time you see someone doing something stupid you will be able to explain it by recognizing that you consider the rule they are breaking as a command and they likely consider it more of a guideline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars