The Joy of Cooking

I have heard that Americans spend more time watching television shows about cooking than actually preparing food to eat. Whether they are stand-alone programs or segments within a news broadcast these in-front-of-the-camera chefs highlight the joys that come from the kitchen. But for me these joys usually come to a crashing halt as soon as I try to replicate what I saw on television.

While I comfortably call myself a cook I have never maintained any illusion that I posses the skills of a chef. Every time I see one of these trained masters prepare a dish I recognize their talent and usually decide to never try and attempt the same thing at home. When I do muster up the courage to try, the results are passable but never with a flair that would bring applause or attract patrons to a restaurant.

It is a fortunate thing that I have never dreamed of being a chef but the joys of cooking have not escaped me. My children love it when I cook. It doesn't matter if it is pizza, burritos, pancakes or grilled cheese, they are delighted and very complimentary of the dishes I prepare. While they are happy to go out and grab a bite, I cannot hide the joy I feel when I suggest that we do go to a restaurant and one of my kids asks that I prepare some dish instead.

I contrast that joy with the doldrums that set in around meal time. I have found it easy to lose the fun in the kitchen as it is often reduced to a mundane chore and just another thing to get done during the day. I also recognize that I have fallen into a well laid trap of corporate gastronomy that seduces us parents with the conveniences of the already prepared meal. Some of them are quite good and yummy to the tummy, but I've never found joy in the heating of food that is already prepared and ready to eat.

Because I am not a great chef, I find joy in cooking simple dishes. My mother always grew a diverse and fun vegetable garden. Through her example I learned to enjoy simple and healthy dishes from fresh vegetables that can be grown in the backyard. The dishes never required a fancy preparation but they succeeded with a rich variety of quality ingredients and caring hands. Yes, good food prepared in service to others and with a heart full of love is a great recipe for joy around the table.

Last night I prepared one of the simplest of dishes. It's a spanish tortilla. This version has potatoes, eggs, quality olive oil and salt. The preparation requires little skill but the results are fabulous. If you ever find yourself in the doldrums of cooking, I suggest a return to the basics; get rid of the prepared meals and just make something simple for someone you love.

You will rediscover the joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter