Did you ever own a pair of Ocean Pacific Shorts?


What you wear in high school tells the world who you are.  In the mid 80s, Polo by Ralph Lauren and Izod marked the preppies. The cool people donned Jordache jeans and Members Only jackets. Our cowboys stuck to the Wrangler line of products. And Levi provided a safe haven if you needed to cross the clique lines.  Ocean Pacific offered a sporty and fun line of clothing.  I had a corduroy pair or two and a couple of synthetic fiber shorts. Remember these were the days of the short shorts. We're talking John Stockton short shorts.

At the end of my sophomore year I was elected as an officer to our debate club. I was pretty excited to be involved in planning our activities and helping to grow our program. On the Friday evening before the last day of classes I went to bed after locking my door so that my younger siblings wouldn't wake me up early on Saturday.

It was a warm evening in late May and I ended up sleeping in my underwear. There I lay in my bed underneath a slightly cracked window hoping for a gentle breeze to cool the room. Sleep came quickly and there I rested in quiet slumber. Around 2 a.m. I awakened to a sight that I never believed I would see.

There above me crawling through the window was the beautiful Brenda Christensen, her long light-brown hair flowing as she asked me to help her down. Kneeling on my bed I reached up and grabbed her around the waist and helping her down onto my bed. At that very moment I realized my state of almost complete undress. Although I was in good physical shape it wasn't excitement that I felt but embarrassment.

I quickly hopped off the bed and opened a dresser drawer grabbing a pair of OP shorts that I hadn't worn since the last summer or early fall. I tried to put them on but they had shrunk in my drawer. I got them just past my thighs but there was no snapping the button. At that very moment I hear the handle to my door jiggle.

"Holy shiitake mushrooms!", or something like that screamed through my head.

My parent's room was right across the hall. Immediately I realized that my mother has heard someone in my room and was trying to see what was up. I couldn't let my mother see me in my underwear with these shorts half-way up my legs and a tall, beautiful girl in my room.

As I hopped over to the door, because my shorts were stuck to my legs, I grabbed the handle to keep the door locked. Brenda started trying to open the door. Instinctively I pushed her into the closet and begged her to be quiet. She fought her way past me and opened the door.

Standing in the doorway laughing were the rest of the debate club officers ready for my officer initiation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars