Malcolm X

On February 21, 1965 three members of the Nation of Islam killed Malcolm X. One year earlier Malcolm X occupied the second most powerful position in the Nation of Islam. Only Elijah Mohammed could claim a higher status. Many would argue that while organizationally Mohammed sat in the the highest chair, X wielded greater persuasive power. Yet in March 1964, after converting to Sunni Islam, the man once known as Malcolm Little, voluntarily vacated his position of power to advocate a more peaceful resolution to the race crisis and to promote the Civil Rights Movement. Less than a year later he was dead.

He had come a long way since his father had been killed and his mother was confined in mental institutions. He followed a life in foster care with sometimes brutal criminal conduct that led to his incarceration. He was angry and his days wearing the zoot suit through the neighborhood were gone. In prison he embraced Islam and adopted the X, an homage to the anonymity, caused by slavery, of his true African name and heritage.

I have never excused nor tried to justify the violent and threatening tactics espoused by Mr. X. I could understand but never accept the goals of the Nation of Islam. In junior high school I read his autobiography and found myself wondering if there was anything so important to me that I would engage in violent revolution to preserve. My analysis led me to conclude that only theoretical situations would give rise to such passion and conviction. I felt no persecution for my beliefs, race, or socio-economic status. I  recognized the inherent unfairness that pervades our society. I had never walked a step in his shoes, let alone a mile or two.


I can trace some of my desires to practice law to that autobiography and the lessons it began to teach me. Lessons that I still need to learn. Perhaps the greatest insight I glean from Mr. X stems from his willingness to admit he was wrong. This man was dealt a short deck of cards in his early life. His choices placed him firmly in the grasp of criminal living. Yet in prison he found freedom. His life history made it easy to accept the divisive messages of superiority and segregation and for years he promoted them.

But imagine how difficult it can be to admit you are wrong when you espouse an erroneous, yet unimportant, position. Mr. X was the leader and public face of the Nation of Islam when he repudiated their beliefs. That requires humility and demonstrates courage and inspiring leadership. I have a long way to go and spend far too much time concerned with whether I am right versus what is right. Today, history reminds me to accomplish what I can right now because it offers no guarantee for tomorrow.

I am grateful for lessons taught by Malcom Little, Malcolm X, and El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz and today I honor his life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter