Bar Results

Almost two months had passed since I sat for the bar exam. I had made plans to open my own practice and already had research projects to complete while I waited for the results. I had not entered into a lease agreement as I considered it more wise to make certain that I would be licensed to practice law before committing myself to any long-term financial obligations. Lacking a private office space I used the research library at the university to perform my labors.

It was a late Friday afternoon and I had filled three separate legal pads from some very intensive research. There I sat surrounded by a fortress of law reporters, digests, reviews and treatises. It had been a productive day and I was feeling pretty good about myself. Suddenly my moot court partner walked by and asked me if I had passed the bar. Slowly I realized the bar had released the results. That reality forced every other thought from my mind. I checked the clock and it was seven minutes to five.

Quickly I hurried to the law school lounge where I knew I could access a public telephone. I grabbed the phone book and looked up the number to the bar association. My first attempt resulted in a busy signal. The second attempt brought a voicemail message that explained the office was closed until Monday morning. Everything had happened so quickly that I never had the chance to get nervous. Recognizing that I would have to wait until Monday for the results I began to ponder my predicament.

My friend had followed me to the lounge so I interrogated him about whatever he knew.  Somehow he had learned that everyone in our law school class had passed the exam except for two students. I was confident until he mentioned the two people who did not succeed. I did not believe that I had failed but I prepared myself for that possibility, just in case. I said nothing to my wife and secretly stewed until Monday morning came.

As eight o'clock came closer I did everything I could to coax my wife to get up and get ready so that I could make the call privately. About a quarter after the hour I heard her turn on the shower and I knew the moment had come. I dialed and the bar representative answered the phone. I let her know who I was and explained that I had heard that the bar results were out. She asked for some personal information to confirm my identity and then she told me the results.

I thought it was good news but I wasn't sure if she said did or didn't. So I said, "I think you gave me good news, but can you just confirm whether you said I did pass or I didn't pass?"

"This is good news," she said, "you did pass."

Utterly relieved I wasted absolutely no time to tell my wife the good news.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars