Spring's Promise


I wasn't born allergic to pollen.

Spring signaled a renewed relationship with the outdoors. A windy day was perfect for flying a kite. I could lie on grass and watch the clouds go by as the kite swooped and dipped and swayed. My brothers and I could have a catch or if we go enough neighbors together we could play a game of ball. When  my mom could corner me I'd even go out and help weed in the garden, mow the lawn or do some simple pruning of the fruit trees. And of course there was nothing like sleeping out under the stars and in the open air.

Back then I didn't sneeze. I didn't go through a box of Kleenex each night. I didn't have to scratch my eyes. And I certainly experienced no trouble getting a good night sleep even while sleeping right on the ground underneath the stars. I enjoyed those years with a blissful ignorance that only uninhibited breathing brings. During the early 90s my reactions to the springtime grasses and pollen steadily grew until it becam more than a mere nuisance. Today I rejoice if I manage several good hours of shut-eye before I have to blow my nose, rinse my eyes and then repeat before I lay down with doubtful hopes of returning to evening rest.

I have tried numerous prescribed and over-the-counter medications to control these seasonal allergy symptoms. I categorize their effectiveness in two groups. One group controls my symptoms and the sneezes and itchiness disappear faster than candy on Halloween. Unfortunately, those medications all cause me to feel so woozy and loopy that I can barely accomplish even simple tasks before I lose my train of thought. Other medications leave my thought processes intact but are ineffective in controlling my symptoms. With or without medication my symptoms pretty much keep me from accomplishing any task that requires more than seven minutes of thoughtful effort.

I have never attempted the series of shots that some say eliminate allergies forever. I guess the interruption to my life has never been sufficient to endure the treatment as it has been described by some of my friends and family. Maybe if it were a one time thing I would be more willing to give it a try. But the real reason that I haven't sought a more intensive intervention comes from something my doctor said. I don't even think it was a promise or a scientific diagnosis. I still accepted it as true.

Twenty years ago my doctor said the good news with late onset allergies is that they sometimes fade as the years go on. Recently, my allergy symptoms have diminished slightly in intensity and duration. I have noted more people complaining about really bad allergy days and I have not been suffering as much. This year I haven't been as lucky in avoiding the allergy bite but I haven't given up hope that my doctor still might be right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter