Chains

I had timed my approach to the intersection with near perfection. The light had changed to green and I  needed to merge into the previously stopped traffic as they began their acceleration. I needed to move to the left to allow right-hand turners the chance to pass me on the right. I was passing the stopped cars and was looking for an opening, a natural gap caused when stopped traffic begins to move once the light changes.

I was traveling six or seven miles per hour below the speed limit but faster than the now moving traffic. I glanced back and noticed a nice gap. The driver and I made eye contact and he provided the clear nod that I could move over. Appreciative of the kind gesture I decided to pick up my pace and accelerate to the posted speed limit, matching   the traffic in front of me. I lifted myself from my saddle and put everything I had into the down pedal.

A sudden snap and then a constant rattle. I didn't even have to look down; I knew what had happened. My bicycle chain had broken. In all of my years of riding I have never had a chain break in the middle of a ride. I checked to the right and the lane was open. I quickly coasted over to the shoulder and out of all vehicular traffic. I was almost five miles into my ride and my mode of transportation was rendered completely useless.

Bicycles are renowned for their simplicity and they possess an impressive ratio of forward propulsion with each rotation of the pedal. The efficient engineering design minimizes  energy lost in the transfer between cog and axel. This process does require a chain. That part of the system proves essential, indeed it is indispensable. My choices were limited, but I identified three. I could walk a half mile and wait for a bus that would take me into my office. I could walk a quarter mile to another bus station and return home, change clothes and drive to the office. I could call my wife and have her come and pick me up.

I selected the third option. I used the convenience of modern communication and dialed my wife on my cell phone. She didn't seem at all put out by my request and appeared happy to come to my aid. In fact, she apologized when she arrived because upon leaving the house she ran into our neighbor. This friend had inadvertently locked herself out of her house and she had no shoes on. My wife explained her dilemma in needing to come and pick me up but she offered our friend the chance to come into our home and use our phone to try and resolve her situation while my wife helped me with mine.

These scenarios confirm my world view that circumstances become problems only if you can find no solutions. My good wife regularly qualifies as a tremendous solution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars