Feast or Famine?


As tax season approaches many people discuss whether they owe more or whether they are getting money back. Some celebrate a refund while others scorn because a refund reflects a tax-free loan to the government without any additional benefit. Others celebrate the refund as a no-interest but effective way to save for a larger purchase. These diverse opinions remind me of a profound biblical lesson that provides me with ever clearer understanding as I  review, contemplate and mediate its meaning. The story and teaching are found in the 12th chapter of the Gospel according to Mark.

"And they send unto him certain of the Pharisees and of the Herodians, to catch him in his words. And when they were come, they say unto him, Master, we know that thou art true, and carest for no man: for thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest the way of God in truth: Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not? Shall we give, or shall we not give?
But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said unto them, Why tempt ye me? bring me a penny, that I may see it. And they brought it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? And they said unto him, Caesar's. And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him."

This story reminds to inquire about spiritual matters with a pure heart and free from guile or selfish and deceptive motivation. Flattery nor deceit can provide a path to understanding any principle that is most profoundly taught through faith. I have known the peace the gospel brings when I willingly entrust my happiness to the great power of God's love by keeping his laws and commandments. I have also toiled in the mire while trying to conform God's will to the time limited perspective of my own understanding.

Nevertheless, I too frequently insist that I know enough and behave much like the Pharisee. I use particular words and phrases from the scriptures as I lay a futile trap to ensure that my Heavenly Father will answer my prayers the way I want them answered. Like the Pharisee the only one deceived at the end of that journey is me. Dead ends discovered from trips of self deception either bring intense frustration or empowering humility.

I have found that many of these journeys begin with an attempt to treat things I find sacred and holy the same as concepts that are mortal and mundane. But when I render unto God that which is Caesar's or to Caesar that which is God's neither offering will be received and I remain unrewarded, dissatisfied, and deceived. Likewise my attempts to shape eternal truths with even the best human reasoning unduly reduces the celestial to the banal. Should we not seek the eternal bounty of God's feast instead of snacking on Caesar's simple salad?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter