Stolen Childhood

When I earned allowance from chores around the house I knew exactly how I was going to spend it. I would tithe ten percent to my church, I would put the same amount in an education/mission fund and the rest I would spend at the corner market. Back in the day my budget categories were far more limited and my interests less diverse. Since my income was also far more limited and less diverse this arrangement worked out well.

I really only wanted to buy two things at the store --Bottle Cap candy and Shasta sodas. Actually, I preferred Sprite and A & W Root Beer, but with the money I had in my pocket I generally settled for the less expensive Shasta.  Both of those treats tasted just a little bit better when I knew it came from my very own money. Mind you, I don't think I ever turned down candy, even from strangers, but the flavors lasted a little bit longer and the experience more rewarding than even a stuffed Halloween night pillow case.

I seldom made these purchases using exact change which meant that I would always get a few pennies in change. I could have saved those pennies but instead I'd usually stop by the gumball machine and use up my pennies on gum. During the walk home I would chew the gum anticipating the real enjoyment that would come from the highly valued and treasured candies. Whether it was the swoosh of escaping air that announced the sweet carbonated syrup I was about to consume or the mingled whiff of grape, cola, orange and cherry artificially created flavors, either one represented the real value and reward of hard work.

But one day the sweetness was gone and these delights never tasted as sweet again. It started when I got the pennies as change back. My Bottle Caps were in the bag and I went to buy a penny gumball. I carefully placed the penny in the slot and turned the handle to release the gumball down the chute. As I turned the handle and I heard the ball drop below I realized that the handle had turned a little farther than normal. So I turned the handle again, this time with no penny in the slot.

Another gum ball dropped and the handle continued to rotate. I placed the bag below the candy door and started spinning for all I was worth. One after the other the gumballs dropped into the bag. I scored 50-60 gumballs when I heard a voice behind me. Startled, I looked up and saw the disapproving face of a store employee. Panicked, I quickly grabbed the bag and ran out of the store. I kept running until I got home.

I never did get a complaint from the store. But the price for those gumballs was far too high. I ate the Bottle Caps, but the magic was gone. And the gumballs? I gave them to my brothers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Flying Stars