Let It Be Written, Let It Be Done


For many years I used a four to six ratio to better understand the Ten Commandments. The first four explain the relationship that we should pursue to maintain and develop a spiritual relationship with our Heavenly Father. The remaining six describe basic tenets to facilitate positive interactions among our fellow men. This tool continues to serve me well but further reflection reveals an 8:2 ratio. Four times as many commandments contain injunctions prohibiting negative behavior while only two mandate affirmative action. This ratio compels additional contemplation as I consider the ratio of personal bad behavior that may require prohibition versus positive action that promises beneficial consequence.

I offer the following, not as substitution, but as material for meditation.

Instead of, "Thou shalt have no other God before me," consider: I will seek God and His influence in all things. If I cannot find Godliness I will pursue a different thing or activity.

Instead of "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image," consider: I will give thanks to God for all that I have and will eschew any sense of entitlement to any physical possession.

Instead of "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain," consider: I will live in a way that my actions testify of my belief in God. I will speak of the Lord my God with reverence and in humble prayer.

Instead of "Thou shalt not kill," consider: I will preserve and protect life and I will promote the ability of every living thing to fully enjoy the richness of existence.

Instead of "Thou shalt not commit adultery," consider: I will live a virtuous and a chaste life and I will treat the sacred power of creation as a divinely appointed blessing and responsibility.

Instead of "Thou shalt not steal," consider: I will be a good steward to all things under my control and I will always assist others to effectively use the resources within their stewardship.

Instead of "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" consider: I will speak the truth and I will choose words that uplift and bring joy.

Instead of "Thou shalt not covet," consider I will use the resources and talents that I possess to serve my family, my friends and my community. I will develop additional skills and resources as I help my fellow man.

These suggestions represent eight of the Ten Commandments. The other two were given as affirmative actions in their original form.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Honor thy father and thy mother.

Can you imagine the possibilities if instead of resolving to avoid negative behavior, we filled our lives with positive and beneficial choices? I believe in the original Ten Commandments as divinely pronounced rules that lead to good and joyful living. I urge all people to follow the principles that underlie each mandate as they will lead to truth and light. And with that light may we uplift ourselves and those around us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter