Unspoken Blessing

My church relies upon a lay ministry. I feel honored to bless and enrich the lives of others as I strive to fulfill responsibilities that correspond to my stewardship. When I am true and faithful to me beliefs and covenants I serve others using a priesthood power that has been conferred upon me. In those moments, I savor the communion between heaven and earth as I serve another member of this great human family. The result of every act of true service has, for me, been an increased capacity for love and a better understanding of the promises offered by a compassionate God.

That understanding is like looking through a window, exposing a view that that shows that through my own compassion and service I bestow upon others the blessings that they seek from God. I have learned through experience that if I am humble and willing, God will provide me with the opportunities to extend that service. While spending time at the hospital, I offered some of these blessings to strangers and to my family. Each occasion resulted in a rich treasure for my heart and my soul.

I believe that priesthood blessings can direct the powers heaven to specifically bless one who stands in need of God’s special grace. I am confident that God is willing to extend mercy to all those who seek it. This knowledge does not require me to find that someone who’s prayer seems unanswered was less worthy or loved than one whose expressed wish was granted. In fact, when tragedies ensue I continually reevaluate and seek the love of God and His grace. I acknowledge that there is much that I cannot explain but there is more that I cannot doubt.

When I can anticipate that a priesthood blessing will be requested I will take the time to prepare myself and to seek God’s will; I pray to be a voice for Him on earth. It is a responsibility that I accept with tremendous and complete solemnity. Prior to the removal of my mother-in-law’s breathing tube I had been asked to offer a blessing on her behalf. Her grandson anointed her with oil and I spoke the blessing after sealing that anointing. The words I didn’t speak continue to move me.

Her condition had been grave. Experts did not provide bases for hope. I worried about the weight that death would cast upon my wife and her sisters. They had just lost their father weeks before. It felt like this was too much. As I reflected on this priesthood power I prepared to express these words, “I bless you that if you die and pass from this life to the next, that God will grant you the power to pierce the veil of death and extend your motherly arm of comfort and peace to your daughters and family who remain.”

When I placed my hands upon her head and blessed her those words were nowhere to be found and for today, she lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Tears?

Merry Christmas 2013

Winter